When you’re in the market for some professional headshots, it’s important to think about what you will wear. You want to dress in a way that makes you feel comfortable and confident, while also sticking to a simple, classic style. Avoid busy patterns or bright colours, and focus on solid hues and timeless pieces instead.
1. What to wear for headshots
Your headshot is important. It’s your first impression, your calling card, and it should reflect who you are as a person and as a professional.
But what should you wear for your headshot session?
The best advice is to dress as you would for an important business meeting. That means no jeans or T-shirts – stick to tailored clothing in neutral colours.
However, with that being said, it’s also important what you wear for headshots to represent your profession, e.g. a car mechanic wouldn’t be wearing a suit at work, therefore a suit might not be the best option in this scenario.
Avoid patterns and busy designs, as they can be distracting on camera. And make sure your clothes fit well; ill-fitting clothing can make you look unprofessional.
As for accessories, keep them simple. A watch or a pair of small earrings is fine, but avoid wearing anything that would take attention away from your face.
With these tips in mind, you’ll be sure to look your best in your next headshot.
What is the best colour to wear for professional headshots?
For both men and women, it is always best to go with classic colours that won’t date the photo.
For men, this typically means a navy suit. For women, a black blazer or dress always looks professional.
If you want to add a pop of colour, choose a shirt or blouse in a bright hue. Just make sure the colour compliments your skin tone.
What not to wear for a professional headshot session?
There are a few things you should avoid when getting your headshot taken. First and foremost, don’t wear anything too bright or flashy. Busy patterns or bright colours can be overwhelming in a headshot, and they won’t do you any favours when it comes to making a good impression.
Second, don’t wear anything that’s too casual. Remember, your headshot is a representation of your professional self – so jeans and t-shirts are a no-go. Finally, avoid any accessories that could be distracting on camera. Stick to simple jewellery and leave the statement pieces at home.
Should you wear glasses in your headshot session?
If you wear glasses on a daily basis, then yes – you should definitely wear them in your headshot.
Not only will they help you look like your regular, professional self, but they can also be used to help frame your face and make your headshot more dynamic.
Just make sure your glasses are clean and free of any glare before your session. And if you have the option, consider getting a new pair of glasses specifically for your headshot – it could make all the difference.
2. How to prepare for your headshot session
A headshot is a photo that shows your face and can be used for professional or personal purposes. Whether you’re looking to update your LinkedIn profile, update the photos on your website or you’re an aspiring actor, it’s important to have a good headshot. Here are a few tips to help you prepare for your headshot session:
– Choose the right outfit. Your clothing should be appropriate for the type of headshot you’re looking for. If you’re going for a more casual look, jeans and a t-shirt are fine. However, if you’re going for a more formal look, consider wearing a button-down shirt or dress.
– Get your hair and makeup done. This is especially important if you’re going for a more glamorous look. Hair and makeup can help to make or break a headshot, so it’s worth investing in a professional to do your hair and makeup before the shoot.
– Practice posing. It can be helpful to practice posing in front of a mirror before your shoot. This way, you’ll feel more comfortable in front of the camera on the day of the shoot. Try out different poses and find the ones that work best for you.
By following these tips, you’ll be sure to look your best in your next headshot.
3. What to do after your headshot photo session is over
Once your headshot session is complete, it’s time to select the best photos and have them edited. This process can be relatively quick or it can take some time, depending on how many photos you have to choose from and how much editing you want to do. I recommend selecting 3-6 photos that you really love and then taking the time to edit them to perfection. This way, you’ll have a small collection of amazing headshots that you can use for your portfolio, website, or social media profiles.
And once you have your professional headshots, don’t forget to update your profile pictures regularly! After all, a headshot is only as good as the most recent one.
4. Headshot tips for men
Anyone who’s ever been in front of a camera knows that getting a good headshot can be a challenge. But for men, there are a few extra considerations to keep in mind. Here are four tips for taking a great headshot:
1. Start with a clean slate. Make sure your hair is styled and your face is freshly shaven. You want to look polished and put-together, so take the time to groom yourself before your headshot session.
2. Choose the right clothing. Stick to neutral colours that complement your skin tone. Avoid patterned shirts or busy jackets – you want the focus to be on your face, not your clothes.
3. Relax and have fun. The best headshots are those where you look like yourself. So relax, be yourself, and let your personality shine through.
4. Work with a professional photographer. A professional photographer will know how to bring out the best in you and will help you create a headshot that you’ll be proud of.
5. Headshot tips for women
As a woman, you want your headshot to show that you are competent, confident and approachable. Here are a few tips to help you achieve that:
1. Make sure your hair is styled in a way that is flattering and professional. Avoid overly casual styles, such as ponytails or messy buns.
2. Choose a makeup look that is natural and polished. Again, avoid anything too dramatic or distracting.
3. Wear clothing that is both stylish and appropriate for the occasion. If you’re not sure what to wear, err on the side of conservatism.
4. Smile in a genuine and warm way. This will help to put your viewers at ease and convey your friendly nature.
5. Relax your body and let your arms hang naturally at your sides. Avoid crossing your arms or putting your hands in your pockets, as this can come across as defensive or closed-off.
By following these simple tips, you’ll be sure to take an amazing headshot that captures your true personality and professionalism.
A headshot is a crucial part of your professional image. It’s important to take the time to prepare for your headshot session so that you can create a photo that you’re happy with and that accurately represents who you are. With these tips in mind, you’ll be sure to take a great headshot that will serve you well for years to come.
If you’re in need of professional headshots, Brilliant Photography, based in Peterborough, UK, can help. We have experience taking amazing business or corporate headshots that will help you look your best. Contact us today to learn more!